January 09, 2009

Comparison of Adverb


Like adjective, adverb has also got Degrees. Degrees as you know are nothing but a gradation of an adjective or an adverb. There are three kinds of Degrees such as Positive, Comparative and Superlative. To avoid repetition of my earlier post on Degrees or Comparison, I would like you to read this post with my other post entitled Comparison of Adjective. As far as degree of conversion is concerned, the rules for adjective and adverb are the same. So let me inch forward for other aspects of adverbial comparison.

As Adverb As
This kind of construction is often used to compare two similar adverbs of same quality or standing. Sometimes, a manner of action is also compared using this kind of construction.
· She speaks English as fast as her son. (Both she and her son are equally fast)
· This train is as fast as the one that runs between London and Paris.
· He negotiated the turn as deftly as possible.
· She dived as carefully as possible into the pool.
Similarly, we also use similar construction using Not (Not As Adverb As) simply to show comparative dissimilarities of two similar adverbs.
· You didn’t write as much as I wrote.
· I didn’t reach home as early as my brother.
· I was not as late as my brother.
Twice as …as, three times as …as
(Sometimes thrice is also used but in modern English thrice is not used so frequently like once or twice and fast losing currency.)
· Owing to production cut, the oil price is twice as expensive as it was five years ago.
· He has got three times as much books as she had a year ago.
The Same As
· My problems are the same as yours.
· I am the same age as Ram’s elder brother.
Two comparatives are also used to show that something is changing continuously.
· It is getting darker and darker.
· It is becoming more and more difficult to cope with the depression.
· More and more people are buying I-phone.
The Comparative the comparative
We use this kind of kind construction to describe how one thing increases/decreases in relation to another.
· The larger the size of a file the greater the time it takes to download.
· The bigger your family is the bigger the budget.
· The sooner you finish, the sooner we will leave you.
· The more the merrier. (Merrier=More)
Again I would like you to go through with my post on Adjective as to avoid repetition; I have left many aspects of Degrees. So please read my posts with similar content to complete the theme of Comparison.
So it is happy reading. If you lack time and would like to read it offline than you can copy the html link of hyperlinks. Then paste the link in the address bar of your browser. Lo, the post will be in front of you.
If you don’t like to load the complete website then you can read the above feeds in offline or online RSS readers. Follow the following link.
So it is happy reading friends. With more such informative and short lessons, Share and Smile will come again and again with regular interval to replete your cerebral cell. So, till the next lesson it is bye, bye. Mail me if you have any queries regarding any post or this post.
Thank you for going through this post. Please leave your valuable comment if you feel so.

3 comments:

  1. This is really nice Sudam,this would particularly useful to non English speaking blogger like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Informative...site opens in a shot now :-)

    ReplyDelete

Rest assured your comments will go a long way in improving this blog. Your consistent visit and patronization is highly solicited. Thanks