December 27, 2008

BBC AND MY ENGLISH



British broadcasting service is a common name in all parts of the world.  Before the advent of visual media, it was BBC Radio; a credible and authentic source of information and news, happening around the world.  People would quote BBC as the source of their Information that we call now linking.  The manner of presentation and the simple English language of the BBC World service are praiseworthy.  From 1990 till 1997 I was a regular listener of BBC World service.  My favorite one hour program was the 13 hour GMT (18:30 IST) News Hour.  Ah, there was another program “Professor Grammar” that I would not miss.  The News Hour shaped my English language.  It introduced me with new vocabularies, the way of speaking and correct pronunciations of various tricky English words.  In fact, what I am today, the credit goes to BBC Radio. 

At that time my radio set was my favorite chum.  It would go with me strolling, to the pond.  Laughing?  Of course you can, but it is the truth.  Sometimes, my radio set would develop some snags and I would feel irritated and agitated for the problems.  Soon, I would cycle to 15 kilometers to get the set repaired.  Remember, my native place is not a town, not a business center.  In fact, a rustic place with no education, no inclination either.  In fact, I am also a drop out and the rest history.

In 1998 I joined my present service and things changed drastically.  I was introduced to a new culture drastically different from my rural culture.  My language changed, my dress behavior changed and finally I was transformed.  My reading habit changed.  And it is a matter of regret that my radio listening habit and association with BBC Radio ended abruptly.  I regret the disassociation till today.
But the shaping and the influences of BBC are the things, I am proud of and basing which I am able to facilitate various things of my life.  I owe a lot to the BBC for my present.



Today I have internet.  Internet what it is, needs no repetition here as everyone has his or her views regarding the power of Internet.  Now I have the technology, that I have been using to the fullest extent to simplify my life.  And after the internet revolution, BBC also diversified.  It has been maintaining informative and useful websites for the benefit of all and sundry.  Now you can listen to or watch BBC programs of either radio or television.  One can even read those stories that are aired or broadcasted over the BBC radio or television.  And to facilitate your knowledge on English language there is a section, English in News.  There one can learn new vocabularies related to sports, football, science and many other fields of interest. 

If you have any doubts regarding any grammatical aspect, you can visit the following site and explore the resources to simplify your curiosity, quench your grammatical thirst. 

Thanks for going through this personal story. 

1 comment:

  1. BBC RADIO NEWS IS VERY POPULAR SOURCE OF ANALYTICAL NEWS. IT IS VERY POPULAR AMONG STUDENTS AND SPECIALTY SMALL TOWNS VILLAGES IN INDIA.

    YES BBC IS A AUTHENTIC SOURCE OF NEWS EVEN IN TODAY'S NEWS CHANNELS REVOLUTION.

    ReplyDelete

Rest assured your comments will go a long way in improving this blog. Your consistent visit and patronization is highly solicited. Thanks