Case A Case B
Bruno is a quick runner. He runs quickly.
Harry is a careful Driver. He drives carefully.
Kinley is a bad cook. She cooks badly.
The rain was heavy yesterday. It rained heavily yesterday.
Now let’s analyze the two situations given in the table as Case A and Case B. In Case A mark the words in italic and bold. Quick, Careful, bad, heavy. All these words are Adjectives as they describe something about Noun runner, driver, cook and rain. Similarly, quickly, carefully, badly, heavily are Adverbs as they simply add something to verbs like run, drive, cook and rain. A lot of adverbs are formed by adding ~ly to Adjectives. Here are some more examples of similar constructions.
- Some Adjectives end in ~ly too.
• Both teams played a friendly match.
• The girl was lively.
• She is an elderly person.
• He spent his lonely days in the valleys.
• A lovely blog, indeed.
- You also use Adverbs before Adjectives and other Adverbs.
• The street is awfully busy. (Adverb + Adjective)
• Mumbai was terribly shocked.
• We had a really shocking time.
• Really a good holiday, indeed.
• Many were seriously injured in the accident.
- Not all Adverbs end in ~Ly.
• Your speaking is very good.
• You speak well.
• He is a good cricketer.
• He plays cricket well.
N:B: Good is an Adjective but Well is an Adverb.
- Well is also used in compound words.
Rabi Shankar is a well-known Sitarist.
Barrack Obama is well-educated.
They were well-fed.
A well-laid out design.
A well-dressed person.
N:B: Here the compounds are Adjectives.
- Some words are both Adjectives and Adverbs.
There are a number of fast trains in Indian Railways. (Adjective)
Some trains run very fast. (Adverb)
He is a hard worker. (Adj)
He works hard. (Adv)
Mohan is an early/late riser. (Adv)
He gets up late/early in the morning. (Adv)
Lately =Of late= recently is an Adverb. They moved to a new apartment lately.
Hope you enjoyed this lesson. Till the next installment of English grammar lesson, it is bye, bye from you and all. Meet you next time same place, nah not same time. Ha ha. We will meet here only. Any suggestions, improvements or request for additions or corrections are solicited. I will very happy to go through any such things.
Thank you friends for going through this article.