April 17, 2008

Like and As

LIKE and AS

As and Like can be used in different structures to indicate Similarity:
• He is like his father in appearance and conduct.
• Do like this.
• She is a fine singer as her mother used to be.
• Do as I tell you.

Like is a preposition; it takes a Noun/Pronoun after it (Father, This)
As is a conjunction; it joins two clauses. (She is a fine singer as her mother used to be)

1. As can be used in the following ways:
• Rabi writes as his father did. (The way his father did)
• I like the freedom to spend my day as I want to.
• You need not paint the doors and windows again. Leave them as they are.
I’ll do as you suggest. (What you suggest.)
• They didn’t do as they had promised.
As you know, a new headmaster has joined our school. (You know this)
• As we expected, the party failed to get the majority to form the government.
• As I said, he lives on his brother’s income.

Such as; As usual:
Such as (For example)
• Animals such as cows, sheep and goats are mammals.
• Countries such as India, the USA and the UK are democracies.
• Foods such as milk, fish, meat and eggs contain protein.

Such as is followed by noun.

As Usual:
• I went to bed at ten yesterday as usual.
• The telephone box is broken as usual.
(It is no surprising because it happens often)
• The train is as usual late.
• As usual, my mother was right and I was wrong.


AS (Preposition) +Noun:
Compare
• Let me speak to you like a father. (I am not your father, but I am speaking in the way your father might)
• Let me speak to you as a father. (I am your father and I am speaking in that character.)
• He worked like a slave. (He worked very hard; but he was a free man not a slave)
• The man worked as a slave. (He really was a slave)
• I worked there as a teacher for several years.
• During elections public buildings are used as polling booths.
• Gandhiji is remembered in our country as the Father of the nation.

2 comments:

  1. Very good explanation of uses of "Like and As"

    we will expect some more

    thanks

    Arkjesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friend for taking the pain to visit the blog and jot down some golden words. This comment will go a long way to post more materials for all to benefit.

    ReplyDelete

Rest assured your comments will go a long way in improving this blog. Your consistent visit and patronization is highly solicited. Thanks